Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Pepper Spray of Justice


Ever since I was little I have always been interested in controversial cases that I see in the news and online. One case that came to mind when i was thinking of what I should blog about this week. In my hometown of Saratoga Springs there was a very odd case that was something I have never seen before. Adam Rupeka a man from Troy New York decided to drive past the Saratoga police station and give an officer the finger as he drove by. 
In this video Nathan Baker a member of the Saratoga Springs Police Department sprays pepper spray into Adam Rupeka's eyes. Rupeka decided that he wanted to test his first amendment right by giving Baker the finger while driving by. I personally think that after researching this incident and watching this video that Rupeka absolutely deserved it. But in his defense through the first amendment he had every right to do it. After his decision to give the finger to Baker he refused to comply in anyway eventually forcing Baker to pepper spray him.

The Huffington Post published an article after the fact giving a summary of what happened. The Saratoga Police Department ended up paying Rupeka $50000 for being arrested and pepper sprayed unconstitutionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment